Review by Jocelyn Andersen: I love it!
Wednesday, November 28, 2018
Thursday, November 1, 2018
The rejection letter below, was sent by One Way Press to a writer who shows AWESOME promise and who we believe would benefit from a manuscript critique. Most beginning novelists would do well to hire professionals to edit and critique for grammar and story issues.
Thank you for submitting your manuscript for consideration. We have made the decision not to accept it for publication. Your writing and grammar editing are excellent. We loved your story idea and have a few suggestions for you based on our reasons for not offering a contract at this time.
- Begin the story with the main character
- Introduce the conflict between the two main characters as quickly as possible
- Avoid back-story, especially in the beginning (show not tell)
- Reduce the number of POV's
- Tighten up the story by editing out scenes [delightful as they may be] that do not develop characters or propel the story forward
We believe you have an excellent story idea and the writing skills to execute it in a commercially marketable way. You may benefit from hiring a story critique editor to help with tightening up the plot and slashing unnecessary scenes.
Once these issues are resolved, you are invited re-submit your story. We wish you best-selling success in your writing and hope you find these suggestions helpful.
The OWP Acquisitions Team